Cake Forum - Cake Decorating Community  
Go Back   Cake Forum - Cake Decorating Community > Cake Forum > Cake Disasters

Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
Cakeywakeypops

View Cakeywakeypops's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cake disaster!

Hi all
I am new to this forum. I need help! I did a 2 tiered 9" and 6" cake for a customer at the weekend. The cake was dowelled correctly and secured to the boards etc. It was finished in Friday afternoon and collected by the clients parents on Saturday morning. They drove it approximately 40 miles, stored it overnight and then transported it again to the venue it was to be used at. I got a message from the client late yesterday (Sunday) afternoon advising that the bottom tier had collapsed and the cake had fallen to one side. She sent photos that show dents on both tiers and a collapsed bottom tier. As far as I can tell, the top tier hasn't moved at all. To me it looks as though the cake had either melted (white chocolate ganache under fondant) or been knocked around significantly during transit. my immediate reaction was to ask why she didn't inform me on Saturday morning as, despite my cakes being collection only and me not being responsible for what happens to them once they are out of my control, I would have tried to rectify the situation and given her a dummy cake to use for her event as I hate the thought of someone being disappointed by their cake. This has never happened to me before. My gut feeling is the cake was left in the car overnight as her parents asked if they could do that, to which I advised against and stressed it must be kept flat, upright and in a cool dry place. I think it's either melted or been dropped. Sorry, a bit long winded, but I'm still shaking from the situation! My question is, could a cake that had sat for over 15 hours with no signs of subsidence then driven supposedly very carefully, suddenly collapse?Who is at fault?
Cakeywakeypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CakeForum.com

Join Cake Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CakeForum.com is a free community of fun people who enjoy making cakes and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Cake Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CakeForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE